Progress Scouting Report: Dmexco 2017
"Within just a few years, dmexco has developed into the most important meeting point for the global digital economy."
COLOGNE, GERMANY – October 2, 2017 – Last month, Cologne hosted the annual dmexco (Digital Marketing Expo & Conference) at the Koelnmesse - a massive venue (90,000+ square-meters in space) - accommodating thousands of exhibitors and over 500 speakers from September 13-14. The event attracted over 40,000 visitors, covering a variety of topics within the digital marketing industry, and according to dmexco officials, it has become the centralized destination for digital marketing and media makers and shakers, visionaries, marketing and media professionals, techies, and creative thinkers.
Dmexco has evolved from a conference that drew fewer than 15,000 attendees in 2009, to a massive half a million people from all over the world in 2016, thus becoming one of the main attractions in the industry, with about 50% of the exhibitors having an international background. Since 2009, the conference has enjoyed 343% growth YOY, and has become one of the most influential conferences of the industry. Dmexco's main focus is on digital marketing, and brings the industry together via a variety of speakers, events, debates, seminars, and exhibitions, where attendees can get updated on the latest trends and developments of the industry.
We met several innovative companies during our time at the dmexco, both during our tours through the exhibition floor, where innovative companies were on hand to demonstrate their products and solutions, as well as through attending various events on the conference program, where the latest trends, developments, and points of concern within the industry. As leaders in the digital marketing field, we found some interesting solutions that are leading the way in their categories:
- Datorama helps thousands of companies blend their disparate marketing data sources into a single source of truth. Datorama automates data integration and harmonization, and on top of the data layer, they offer easy to use visualizations and advanced analytics to ask questions and collaborate with peers at the speed of marketing. In 2015, Datorama was named a Rising Star by Deloitte due to massive revenue growth and customer acquisition momentum.
- Kochava is an industry leader for mobile attribution and analytics, helping top brands harness their data for growth. They simplify audience search with custom-tailored audience models for any media outlet, including popular platforms like Facebook. This has led to an efficient business model that has grown to be profitable with over three years of 300% year-over-year growth.
- Sovrn gives content creators tools to make money, access to distribution and scale to grow their audience, and a massive data commons for extraordinary insights. Sovrn owns and operates a proprietary ad technology stack with direct connections to every major buyer in the world. Sovrn experienced 50% YoY revenue growth in 2016.
- Spongecell is a dynamic creative technology company focused on making data-driven creative simple, effective, and scalable by integrating data, machine learning and automation in the creative process. They enable marketers to efficiently deliver relevant and engaging brand content to prospects and customers across all devices and formats. In 2016, Spongecell raised $10.5 million to bring creative and media closer together.
- SublimeSkinz is an ad tech company specializing in the distribution and optimization of Skinz-based advertising. They are the first platform of their kind to provide wallpaper-based advertising, working with advertisers, publishers, media agencies, trading desks, and ad networks to drive efficient campaigns at scale. SublimeSkinz was awarded Ernst & Young’s ‘Born Global’ prize, which recognizes start-up businesses with strong potential for international development.
- VertaMedia is a global video technology provider that helps publishers and networks meet the needs of buyers in an increasingly programmatic and data driven advertising marketplace, and provides a Video Supply Side Platform (SSP) engineered to provide online publishers with a technology stack of go to market tools to monetize video content. The company has been growing rapidly, as evidenced by their presence on The Inc. 5000 list, where they have ranked two years in a row.
- YellowHammer Media Group is an ad tech company that streamlines programmatic media buying, creative messaging, & analysis for marketers, publishers & agencies. They provide a platform developed for publishers to increase fill rates and maximize programmatic revenue across video and display. Yellowhammer Media Group was #79 on Forbes’ “America’s Most Promising Companies” list.
Data is the world’s “new” hot commodity, and every year we meet companies in Cologne who are transforming both user experiences and marketing effectiveness by using this resource more effectively than ever before. Dmexco brings industry players and rising stars alike to the forefront – enabling innovators across the spectrum to put their progress on display for the rest of the market and give onlookers a glimpse of things to come.
To learn more, visit the official event website: www.dmexco.com